Monday, March 26, 2007

Trees, Spring and Legged Things

Why do people insist on cutting down big, beautiful old trees? In light of our ice storms we had here back in December and January many, many trees have been cut down. Some of them I understand were beyond saving and had to be taken down. But then there’s all of these idiots that have these gorgeous trees that hardly have any damage, that aren’t bothering power lines and they’re still cutting them down. Thos trees have been alive and been there longer than any of them! This is one of my pet peeves. I am a tree fan. Not to be confused with a tree hugger (too many splinters), but I love trees. I would give anything to have my two little oak trees be big huge trees now. But trees are a good thing. They happen to be one of the few living things that I can grow with success and people keep cutting them down. Errr!! Trees are not only beautiful but the give homes too many different birds and animals, are fun to climb and the best one yet….good for the environment. Leave the trees alone people!! Sometimes I wish those Int’s (tree herders) off of the Lord of the Rings movies were real. Maybe then people would think twice about fucking with the trees.

Okay, there. My rant for the moment is over. It was brought on by watching a gorgeous tree cut down over my lunch break. But on the cheery side it is a wonderful day here. 73 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I love spring time. It’s always just the right temperature. Not too hot and not too cold and everything is coming to life again. This is the time of year when I am actually capable of getting things done. The main one for me right now is getting my flower beds cleaned up and my grass seed planted. Now if the rain could possibly hold off for a while now so everything isn’t all muddy it will be wonderful. I love good rain showers, but I am not a fan of the mud at the moment. It gets things dirty when you have little four legged creatures that go outside to do their duty and come back in and leave little tracks all over. Then of course there’s our big dogs that seem to think that I need paw prints all over me if I’m outside with them.

I also love the spring time because I can drive down the highway with my music and my windows rolled down. This is a favorite thing of mine to do these past few evenings on my way home from work. To make it even better a flock of wild turkeys has been out and about in the fields on my way home and they’re all fanned out trying to mate. We also have gobs of Sandhills Cranes all over the fields since this is their main migration time. Everyone always stops to look at them and take pictures. I always forget how big they really are. I found some amusement the other night. As I was driving down the highway there was this car of older people (grandparent age) stopped on the side taking pictures of the cranes. One of the women started walking a little ways into the field to get a closer picture and all of the cranes started running away from her. It was just comical to watch, her husband was getting a kick out of it too. :P

But in short I love spring. Now if I can just keep it this way all the time I’ll be set.

4 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a tree hugger :p

And, it's ENTS not INTS :D

It is sad to see all those trees going down. But at least nobody will be lacking for wood-chips :)

 
At 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get really sad when trees are cut down too. I think trees have souls. Yeah, I'm a little weird.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger SuvvyGirl said...

Mike: You are just paying me back for all those times I correct your spellings. :P And yes wood chips, especially free ones, are good for my landscaping projects. Now if I can just find a poor schmuck to do the landscaping for me. :P

Debbie: Then we're both a little weird, I agree with you about trees having souls. Always makes me think of Fern Gully. :P

 
At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this sudden urge to run far away before you start looking at me and imagining a shovel in my hands :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home