Friday, March 16, 2007

People and Places

I hate long weeks. It has been one of the longest weeks this week and I am very glad it is Friday. All week nothing has seemed to go right at work. It’s frustrating and makes me feel very, very tired. I suppose I give some of the credit to the change in time. Daylight savings time is nice once you get used to it but it can be a complete bitch at the beginning. I have been sleeping well and have adjusted to when I have to get up, but it’s the cranky people that I’ve had to deal with that has gotten me. Oh well. Maybe next week will be better.

Last night while watching a new show with the Husband called “October Road” or something like that I came to a realization. I can’t remember ever living in a town where I truly felt like I belonged. In this show this guy had been gone from his hometown for ten years and was driving around it remembering things and seeing how things had changed and how they hadn’t.

I guess I do the same thing with the different places I’ve lived but I’ve never really felt like I’ve had a hometown. When I was a kid we lived in one town, then when I was 8 we moved to another then finally when I was 16 we moved to Kearney. Now I live in Minden which is 20 miles south of Kearney and it is one of the most annoying little towns I’ve ever been in. You’ve all seen, belonged or been to those little towns where everyone knows everyone and it seems like the best little place on earth. Well Minden is not one of those towns. It is very pretty with its old houses and town square but the people for the most part suck. If your family hasn’t lived there for generations you are simply not accepted as part of the town. It’s almost like being in school again and being an outsider. Sad thing is more outsiders live there now than the families born and raised there.

But back to my main topic. It doesn’t really bother me that I don’t really have a town where I belong. How I have always felt at home or that I belong is by my friends and family. Wherever they are is where I belong. I belong to people, not places. Now if those people would just stay put sometimes then I might have a place I belong to also. But then again it could also be the possibility that I’ve never lived somewhere that I have just fallen in love with. Maybe if I ever find that love at first site place I will feel differently.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you just need to get your scrawny butt out of Minden, seeing as you work in Kearney, Asshat works in Kearney, and the little brat would be in a better school in Kearney.

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger SuvvyGirl said...

Scrawny? I think I was 6 the last time I was referred to as scrawny. LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home