Monday, August 21, 2006

Writing

Writing. What is writing? For me it’s where reality and imagination are set free. It’s where I feel I can totally and honestly be me without fear of repercussions, even if someone is reading it. It is an outlet, a wonderful, relaxing, babbling brook type outlet. It’s where is only me and the words. I can relive perfect and not so perfect moments in my life, I can travel to different lands different worlds, I can be a person, an animal or just an existence. It’s such a wonderful feeling when I sit down and feel like what I’ve said is worth while, it also is a very frustrating and melancholy feeling when what I’ve said doesn’t feel worth while. It’s also a horrible feeling when I can’t write at all. There have been so many time lately that my words have failed me. I’m used to them failing me outside of my writing, but not when I am trying to write. Everyday I have so many ideas and my imagination runs wild but because of day to day responsibilities I have very little if any time to write them down and I can never remember them all. One of my favorite books that I’ve read is The Great Gatsby. I think I was the only one in my high school English class that really loved this book. I loved the way everything was described, especially how colors were used to describe so many things from objects to feelings. It painted such wonderful things in my mind. That’s how I want my writing to be. I want it to paint amazing pictures in the minds of those who read. And if they’re not amazing pictures then I at least want them to be able to have an idea of what I’m seeing in my minds eye. I love to daydream, I always have. Sometimes I daydream when talking to people, I daydream about the conversations I’m having and how I’d like them to go. Which in that particular instance daydreaming can really cause problems. The only thing I fear is that as I get older my imagination goes with me. I used to have such an amazing imagination as a child and pretty much up until about 3-4 years ago. I think I let reality become too big to me. Maybe that’s why I love Disney and animated stories so much, they help keep some of my imagination intact. Although I will say I’m one of those people that believe in the unbelievable. Like I believe that Unicorns once existed and that animals can “talk” and are much smarter than we think they are and that magic really does exist. We let ourselves get dragged into what everyone else thinks is right or what is logical. We can’t merely accept the possibility of things, we lose our imaginations. But I’m hoping to at least slowly find mine again. This may sound silly but I am going to start trying to write down my ideas and most of my daydreams (some of them other people really don’t need or want to know about) to see if I can have that imagination like I used to. So bear with me as I do this. Hopefully not all of it will be mindless drivel. :P

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM , Blogger SuvvyGirl said...

Brody:
I know the feeling, I'm not completely sure that I'm happy with the way I write either. I used to love it, now I feel like I can't get a straight thought out of my head :P I think it's all mush. But the more you write the better you get. Do you have a blog? I couldn't get to yours. Thought I'd check it out since you were kind enough to read mine. :)

 
At 5:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Writing about writing without saying anything about your actual writing :P

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Faris said...

hey, despite a long, long single paragraph, in which you poured out pretty much what you were, it was quite interesting to read.

A formatting would definitely help. But you're writing is already good enough. Yes, let your imagination run wild. And write. Read also, stuff like newspapers, as that is were you get your ideas from.

I know all your frustrations. Keep writing, don't give up. That's my only advise.

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger SuvvyGirl said...

Well to all who commented thank you. Hopefully my future "writing" postings will have more of a direction and body. Maybe I'll even put it into paragraphs next time who knows :P Now here comes the writers block :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home