Wednesday, November 08, 2006

WTF?! Kind of Week

WTF?! Monday I was actually turned down to be someone’s friend because I am married. This was a new one for me. I had attempted to befriend a guy that’s on my parent’s pool league. He’s in my age group and seems like a fun guy. Plus he doesn’t have many friends and is also a good boxer; I thought he might make a good person to hang out with from time to time. But he didn’t think hanging with a married woman would be a great idea. Granted all of this conversing was done through the lovely technology of text messaging so after the turn down I assured him I had not been hitting on him. It was just a very odd experience. Somewhat depressing too. But after work I went and had a cigarette with Coyote Mike and we talked for a little while.

I just don’t remember making friends being so hard. I guess maybe being married does have an affect on it in a way but I still don’t get it. I could understand the whole thing if I had been hitting on him. I have always found it easier to be friends with guys instead of girls. Guys are much less dramatic. But maybe I found one that was just as bad as a girl I don’t know. But of course now this leaves things very, very awkward the next time I see him. Oh well, it makes for interesting times.

I have Friday off and plan on having a good weekend relaxing and hanging out with friends. Mainly Coyote Mike. He’s been trying to convince me to go deer hunting with him on Saturday but I’m still thinking it over. Mainly it’s getting up in the middle of the night to get ready that’s making it hard to decide. :P I am not a morning person. That would really test our friendship to see if he can put up with wonderful bitchy morning person me. I have never been deer hunting before so it would be interesting. Of course I will not be the one hunting anything, I’d be an observer. I wonder if they would mind if I would shoo the deer? Run Bambie Run!! LOL Well back to work, busy day here at the office.

8 Comments:

At 4:36 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I can understand where he is coming from. Would you feel comfortable knowing your husband has made a female friend and they are going to hang out alone together?

Making friends does become difficult with age. I've hung out with girls for the first time and had it felt like a first date...

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Plus even you and your husband are cool with you hanging out with him, he doesn't know that. He probably just doesn't want to start any trouble, even if the potential for it isn't there. Give him more time on this.

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry, I'll be well armed if you do come with.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger Dave said...

There is the jealousy issue, but I'll also admit that, as a single guy, when I am making new female friends, I am much less interested in them when they are married or have a relationship. This is due to the fact that it would be nice to find someone myself, and I only have limited "hangout" time. Best to direct it toward single people.

Not that I don't have female friends who are married or in relationships -- actually, I have a lot of them and they're fine. But what I need to spend more time with is single women -- even ones I may not be interested with, since they might have other single friends.

Of course, I have no idea what this guy's situation is... just throwing in my two cents about possible single-guy ulterior motives.

 
At 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave touches on it a bit, but many if not most guys will not admit this: it is very difficult for a man to be "just friends" with a woman he likes without becoming emotionally attached. For that reason it can be frustrating, emotionally draining, risky or all three for a man to get too close to a married or otherwise unavailable woman, even on a supposedly platonic level. It's no accident that most married men relate to women socially in a couples or group setting far more often than one-on-one. There's a design behind that fact, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Women, take note: when a guy spends a lot of social time with you as "just friends," chances are he is actually interested in more; and if he's not, he soon will be.

Or he's gay.

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Mr. Guinness said...

A quote I've found deeply moving to my psyche, "Life is either an adventire, or it is nothing." Helen Keller
So is life and adnetire, or "nothing at all " for you? i think i know the answer!
-30-

 
At 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home