Monday, November 02, 2009

I put Lady to sleep this morning. Her little body just gave out on her and she was getting bad and suffering so I took her in first thing this morning. It was one of the hardest things to do, even worse than putting Charlie down 5 weeks ago. I feel empty; my best friend that’s been there for me through everything over the past 9 years is gone. Time is such a cruel heartless bitch and goes way too fast. Seems like just yesterday my heart melted when a tiny puppy licked my toes and laid down next to my feet. We were originally going to buy her brother but we just fell in love with Lady. From that day on we were pretty much inseparable. She was a feisty little dog that thought she was much larger than she really was. She wasn’t crazy about other dogs but would bite their nose to show them whose boss and then she would tolerate them. She loved cats especially kittens. She never had any puppies but when we brought our two cats home she developed milk and nursed them for a couple of weeks since they weren’t properly weaned. She loved to go to the park and go for car rides. She made friends with the deer and miniature pony at the petting barn at the park. She slept with me every night until Lily was born and she loved getting showers. She’d just jump right on in with you. She also never ran away, she was perfectly content staying in the yard and not wondering very far. And all of my boyfriends had to meet her expectations. She wasn’t a very social dog but once she got to know you and you fed her a French fry she’d love you forever.

I could write more but I don’t want to cry at work and I’m just very very tired. Today I’ve wanted nothing more than to go home and crawl in to bed and sleep. But the world calls and doesn’t stop just for me.

3 Comments:

At 7:36 PM , Blogger Coffeypot said...

A great epitaph, Linda. Those little friends can sure get next to you and become closer than family sometimes. They love unconditionally. You were brave to give her relief.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Helen said...

Sometimes doing the right thing can be so difficult. I'm sure right now she and Charlie are having a great time together, and at least she's not hurting anymore.

I hope you feel better soon, it's not easy to lose a member of your family like that.

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Oh god, I'm so sorry. That has to be such a tough loss of both pets.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home