Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank goodness I live in Nebraska!! Now there are a lot of people out there that wouldn’t agree with this statement. But I rather like this center state I live in. Especially with the news of the cyclone in Myanmar and the earthquake in China. Sure we have the occasional ice storm in the winter and a few tornadoes in spring and summer, but for the most part we are a fairly safe place to be. Or at least that’s how I look at it.

I cannot imagine what it’s like in either of the places I’ve mentioned above. Death tolls are in the five to six digit range and rising. It’s horrible. Not to mention a few states here in the country that have had huge tornadoes wreak havoc. Most of these are states that aren’t used to many tornadoes this time of year much less the magnitude of them. While we get our fair share of tornadoes here there’s so much open ground that they usually don’t do a huge amount of damage to towns and homes. And they usually aren’t very strong. It is amazing what Mother Nature can dish out from time to time. It all has made me think of that movie The Day After Tomorrow. With all of the huge climatic/seismic events over the past few years I think it definitely proves that things with this planet are changing.

There were tidal waves which seemed to have a fair impact on the migratory patterns of most birds, gigantic hurricanes and tornadoes, volcanoes, cyclones and earthquakes. Parts of New York even experienced some seismic activity a few weeks ago. And of course there’s the melting of the Polar Regions. In some ways I think it would be very interesting to learn more about all of these events and in other ways I don’t want to know. The ignorance is bliss theory. I think we as inhabitants of this planet have royally pissed off Mother Nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home