Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Land of Manana

Well I made it back from the land of Manana. My step dad and I drove my parents U Haul down to Rio Rancho, New Mexico this weekend. We left Friday night and stayed in Dodge City, KS. I think Dodge was more interesting back when Wyatt Earp was still there. Then we got up Saturday morning and drove the rest of the way getting there at 4:00pm Mountain Time. It was a pretty drive, but very very long with a U Haul. Saturday evening we went out to eat at Outback Steakhouse then went back to their new house and went to bed.
Sunday morning we got up and waited for the guys to come to unload the truck. Now the guys that loaded it here are good ol corn-fed Nebraska boys. The guys that showed up in Rio Rancho were the exact opposite. I’ll just put it this way; I could have picked up them and the boxes at the same time. Not sure what possessed these two to get into the loading and unloading of heavy household things, but I think they need to find a different profession. So after they left the rest of Sunday was spent unpacking and running around town. Which was no easy feat. It was downright scary!! Not so much the town or anything but my mother’s driving. My step dad and I would race to see who would sit in the back seat. And of course her driving would make us all tense and there would be plenty of bickering involved to. I was happy for bedtime to come. It was nice seeing my mom, but she needed a tranquilizer. Or a couple shots of Johnny Walker.
Monday morning we had to get up early to make it to the Range Café on historical Route 66 so my step dad could have an interview for a job he applied for. This was one of the more pleasant experiences. I had eggs benedict with chile con queso replacing the hollandaise sauce. It was wonderful. After breakfast and the interview it was time to head to the airport. I was somewhat nervous since this was my first time flying. I kept picturing all of the horrible things that could happen trying to go through security. But we got through security in about 10 minutes and got boarded onto the plane. We got window seats above the wing. I know a lot of people don’t like wing seats, but I really enjoyed it. I could see the scenery below and see how the wings work etc. Take off was awesome!! And so was the rest of the flight. I think flying has become my favorite thing. It’s like a completely different world up in the clouds. I found it very relaxing. Our flight didn’t take long. We flew from Albuquerque to Denver, CO in about 45 mins. Our maximum speed was 498mph at 40,000 feet in the air.
After we landed in Denver we had to hang around the airport for 3 hours waiting on our connecting flight to get back home. But I looked around all the little shops, had an iced chai tea latte and a schlotzky’s sandwich and toured the airport. Our connecting flight was considerably smaller than our first one. There were only 16 of us on it and the plane only sat 20. But I still loved it. Now I can see why those pilots have so much fun.
Even though it was nice to spend some time with my parents since they’re moving, but I was happy to get home. I definitely never want to live in New Mexico. It is not my cup of tea. The north eastern part of the state is actually really pretty, but once you get past Santa Fe it’s very drab. Everyone has those adobe type houses that come in brown, brown and brown for colors and no one has yards. They have big dust boxes for yards with big brown concrete fences around them. I just didn’t like it. I like my cornfields, grasses, and cows. And…I missed my baby  Who wouldn’t?!


At 8:28 PM , Blogger Coyote Mike said...

I hear that Lily took your car out for a spin while you were away.

But don't tell her I told you :P

At 3:30 PM , Blogger SuvvyGirl said...

Well I'm sure she's a good driver just like her mom :P You notice that's your hand and leg that's in the picture?

At 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even see that :P


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home